Talitha has made a number of overseas trips and sees the international element of its work as important. Previously it has run programmes in India and Bolivia.
One participant, based in Kolkata, remarked after the team had visited,
“I learned about perseverance. Earlier, I had thought my life was ruined, but now I know that I can persevere and get to another place in life. Now, I really…look forward in life.”
This October (2018) a team of four, all from Jersey, is flying to Bolivia for its second visit in three years at the request of two projects. The team will spend two weeks based in La Paz, Bolivia, working in El Alto primarily serving two organisations: Casa de mi Padre and Word Made Flesh. The girls from the after school project, Casa de mi Padre are extremely vulnerable due to poverty, parental circumstances and are likely to have experienced physical, emotional or sexual trauma. They will come together with a group of girls from Word Made Flesh who are the daughters of sex-workers from El Alto with similar issues. Our 6 day programme will be designed therapeutically for their levels of trauma and address confidence and self-worth, helping them find new ways of expressing themselves and discover coping strategies through the creative arts.
The Team will also offer a day’s programme to the women from the Word Made Flesh project, some of whom work in the sex-trade in El Alto, exploring themes of identity and dignity. The team will deliver some introductory Talitha training and a care workers’ retreat to local NGOs and the Bolivian Field Office of the International Justice Mission, as well as a retreat for another group of young women who are being supported by a local Church.
Talitha is looking to create an overseas fund so that it can say ‘yes’ to more of the opportunities that come its way.
If you would like to donate to provide much needed financial support for trips such as this and the other international work Talitha does you can donate to our International Fund.
If you would like to know more about our overseas work please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Bolivia Team returns December 5, 2018 - Breakthroughs in Bolivia The team led 6 afternoon workshops with a group of 25 vulnerable girls (10 – 15 years old), a retreat for a church community in La Paz, an introductory training session and a retreat for staff from local Christian NGOs, and a day with women transitioning out of the sex-trade. Each part... Read more »
- Team leader Cathy reports from the Jersey hub’s visit to Bolivia September 5, 2018 - Breakthroughs in Bolivia The team led 6 afternoon workshops with a group of 25 vulnerable girls (10 – 15 years old), a retreat for a church community in La Paz, an introductory training session and a retreat for staff from local Christian NGOs, as well as a day with women transitioning out of the sex-trade.... Read more »
- NEW – Talitha heads to Bolivia September 5, 2018 - This October (2018) a team of four, all from Jersey, is flying to Bolivia for its second visit in three years at the request of two projects. The team will spend two weeks based in La Paz, Bolivia, working in El Alto primarily serving two organisations: Casa de mi Padre and Word Made Flesh. The girls from the after... Read more »
- Talitha Receives Point of Light Award from Prime Minister Theresa May December 6, 2016 - We are thrilled to announce Talitha has been recognised by Prime Minister Theresa May with a Point of Light Award! In a personal letter to our founder Amanda Root, Prime Minister Theresa May said: “Through ‘Talitha’, you are providing vital therapeutic support to women and girls who have experienced sexual exploitation, trafficking and domestic violence... Read more »
- Talitha goes to Bolivia August 26, 2016 - In early October we will be travelling to Bolivia to deliver our first programme there. Through the delivery of an eight day Talitha program we will be supporting Word Made Flesh, a charity that reaches out to women and children affected by prostitution as well as the project La Casa de mi Padre that reaches... Read more »
- India Project September 1, 2015 - In September 2015, six Talitha Practitioners were part of the rehabilitation programme for 50 survivors of trafficking and violent sexual abuse in two Aftercare Homes in India, bringing transformation through therapeutic creative arts workshops. It's only fair to share... Facebook Twitter Linkedin